Fair Trade principles.
Basha and the ten global
Fair Trade principles
Basha is committed to fair trade and its principles – to enhance our own business practices, and to support the movement towards a better form of global commerce.
Our application for Fair Trade status has been submitted and in the meantime we continue to promote ethical trade both within Bangladesh and with our global partners.
Fair Trade principles:
1. Creating opportunities for economically disadvantaged producers: Basha supports poverty reduction through trade with small and marginalised producers.
2. Transparency and accountability: Basha is transparent in business dealings with all members of the supply chain.
3. Fair Trade practices: Basha operates with concern for employees’ social, environmental and economic wellbeing. We pay above the local standard for similar work, and employees also receive a share in any profits. Other employee benefits include: part-payment of medical costs, gratuity and severance pay, festival bonuses and a subsidised crèche facility.
4. Payment of a fair price: We operate fairly in our local context by offering at or above market prices for materials and services whenever possible.
5. No child labour: Basha generally does not employ anyone under the age of eighteen. Girls between 16-18 who meet Basha’s criteria are provided employment in compliance with local labour laws, which include safe working conditions, restricted hours, and ongoing education.
6. Non-discrimination, gender equity and freedom of association: Central to Basha’s work is the righting of gender and cultural inequality. Basha does not discriminate when hiring on the basis of race, religion, age or background.
7. Working conditions: Basha seeks to maintain excellent health and safety standards and practices, and to foster a positive and enjoyable working environment.
8. Capacity building: We seek to continue to develop of all our employees, offering ongoing professional and personal training. We currently offer training in life-skills, business, Bangla literacy and English.
9. Promotion of Fair Trade: We are an active advocate for Fair Trade through web and printed promotional material and at events. We also seek to lead by example among our competitors.
10. Respect for the environment: A high proportion of our materials are re-purposed or recycled. We source materials locally and choose carbon-light transportation of goods where possible.