Basha’s vision is to continue to grow as long as there are women in Bangladesh in need of dignified work. Basha dreams of a day when women are not at risk of exploitation and don’t live in fear. Unfortunately there are still thousands of women in Bangladesh being exploited– young girls, women, mothers forced into lives they are deeply ashamed of due to vulnerability or need. In order to strive towards our vision, we must be intentional, hardworking, and busy!
Here is how we aim to reach that goal:
- Branding: We want you to easily recognize the Basha brand and to know that if you buy Basha, you’re getting a product that is unique, high quality, well made, and that impacts the life of the artisan who made it. We won’t feed you a line or tell you an exaggerated tale, we just want you to connect with the artisan through photos, stories, and a glimpse into the pride and hope each artisan has through her job at Basha.
- Quality: Every product has been rigorously quality checked several times. If you ever find a problem with quality, let us know and we will do our best to make it right.
- Wholesale: Basha is a wholesaler. We sell to other retailers so that we can sell large quantities and create more jobs. We love developing new partnerships with retailers all over the globe. Each partner markets different products in unique ways and part of the fun is seeing our handwork through the eyes of others.
- Creativity: Many of Basha products are one of a kind. You’ll never see another just like it. Basha’s kantha diverges slightly from tradition as much effort is put into matching colours for international markets and extra layers are added for warmth and coziness. Our chunky knit range adds a whole new spin on chunky textiles by using colourful vintage sari cloth. Our jewellery is made entirely by hand, link by link, using brass, copper and silver wire and sheeting. Our Christmas items combine our textile and metal craft skills to bring you gorgeous items you’ve never seen before.
- Fair trade: Actually, we’d call ourselves fair trade plus. We employ women who have been through incredible abuse. Healing from that is not easy. Many never experienced safety or love as children and they don’t know how to provide that to their own children. We ensure they have access to ongoing training, education and counselling. While they work, their children are playing, learning, and eating nutritious snacks. So fair trade is not enough at Basha: in addition to providing a fair job, we are actively helping each artisan rebuild her life and her family.
And Basha is growing! We employ over 60 women who were exploited or at high risk. We are currently in the process of transitioning around 20 women from training programmes into employment. We will hold interview for new trainees to replace them. We are planning strategically where we will introduce new production and training centres over the next five years.
We will continue to work tirelessly to obtain our vision. We will create more jobs through building the Basha brand and striving to expand and grow. You can always trust our high quality standards for every great product we make. And we will always operate with high ethics so everyone who works with us is paid fairly and given an opportunity to thrive. Partner with us, by purchasing our products, by telling others about us, or by becoming a retail outlet for Basha. Help us obtain our vision to end trafficking and exploitation in Bangladesh.
“We can only see a short distance ahead, but we can see plenty there that needs to be done.” – Alan Turing, codebreaker and pioneer of computer science